Planning your Power of Attorney is never an easy thing to do as none of us like to think of a time when are unable to make decisions for ourselves and have to rely on others to make the decisions for us. Especially as these decisions will often relate to your health and finances. It is for this reason that you should ensure that you choose someone that you trust to act in your best interests at all points. If you have any queries on who best to choose you should consult with a Cheltenham Power of Attorney such as https://beesandco.co.uk/our-services/wills-cheltenham who will be able to answer all of your questions and complete and file the relevant documents for you.
Here are a number of things that you need to consider when choosing your appointed individuals:
- The minimum age requirement is 18 of years of age and they must not have been declared bankrupt if they are going to be appointed as an attorney for a Finance and Property LPA.
- You need to consider whether you want to appoint just one attorney or two. If you decide to appoint two you can have these deal with your affairs either on their own or jointly which means that they would have to agree on the way forwards. Many people take the option of two attorneys to ensure that they is not abuse of power on either side.
- You can choose anyone that you feel is appropriate as long as you deem them to be trustworthy and that you have a relationship with that means they will take your best interests into consideration when making decisions. Some people choose to appoint a professional such as a solicitor to act on their behalf should they find that they lose capacity at any point in the future.
- In order for the paperwork to be legal and valid the attorneys will need to provide their full name, date of birth, address, contact telephone numbers and email address as well as signing the LPAs to state that they accept their role and the responsibilities that come with this.
- You can if you wish to restrict the occasions on which your attorneys will act on your behalf and you can also leave written wishes with them as to how you would like them to act in regards to your medical care and financial issues as well.